Zeus does not bring all men’s plans to fulfillment
To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.
– George Orwell
I have been at this for about a year.
As George Orwell wrote, sometimes the most obvious things are the least recognizable. This morning I realized I’d passed a milestone without realizing it. Time to savor the moment.
When I started this blog I had a few objectives:
- To set myself apart from the crowd of job seekers
- To share what I had learned from books, blogs and other events
- To stay sane through what was a very slow period of my life: Transition
It was a challenge to stick to a weekly posting and to put my words “on the web” where they could be read by others, searched on and associated with “Joelle Godfrey” for the rest of my natural-born life. I am not by nature an extrovert, so the thought was a bit overwhelming.
But I stuck with it and by adding Twitter to my efforts, I managed stay sane enough to set myself apart and find a job later in the year.
Why do I keep blogging?
- It’s hard to stop once you’ve started. Not that I am a natural blogger, but I hate to quit. After you have a couple of months behind you, it’s hard to give up on all of the effort you’ve already put in
- I enjoy knowing that I am shaping what is known about Joelle Godfrey on the web
- It forces me to think about the profession of Project Management: what I’m doing every day, where it’s going and how to be more effective as a project manager
For those of you thinking of starting a blog to set yourself apart, my advice:
- Do it – it will help you find your voice which may have been lost during Transition
- Stick with it – sticking to a blogging schedule will add structure to your life that you may be searching for during Transition
Sampling of this year’s effort
Following is a short list of the posts that people read most often and a few older posts. My hope is that you keep coming back to read. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Beating Your Shadow by Understanding Your Emotions
- Free PDUs for PMs in Transition
- Magic Eight Ball Wisdom for New Project Manager
- Agile: Why I’m Now a Believer
- Risk Identification: Figuring out What we Don’t Know
- Agile Culture: Where Should a Newbie Start?
- 5 Things Every Project Manager Should Know
- Beating Burnout: Knowing When to Back Off
While I have no world-changing goals for the next year, I would like to:
- Post twice a week
- Improve the value of my posts to you
If there are topics you’d like me to cover, leave a comment or send me a tweet. My id is jgodfrey.